Divorced Parent Can Demand College Records

A college student recently filed a lawsuit seeking to block access to his school records by his father, who pursuant of a divorce judgment, was paying the tuition. A Judge in Ocean County recently ruled that an unemancipated college student (whom a divorced parent still has to pay child support for) can be ordered to produce collegiate records to that parent for proof of college attendance, credits, and grades, without a violation of the student’s privacy. The student is allowed to assert his privacy rights as much as he desires, but cannot simultaneously demand continued payment of child support without proving that he is a student.

The court seems to be doing its best to teach students a life lesson: you can’t have it both ways.