Medical Malpractice Lawyer Wayne Case

Medical Malpractice Lawyer Wayne Case Shows Risks of Surgery

Here’s a summary of a recent Medical Malpractice Lawyer Wayne Case.

Diane, 43, experienced pain and stiffness in her neck. She also felt tingling in her fingers. Her family doctor first prescribed physical therapy. The therapy failed to produce any long-lasting relief.

Consequently, Diane’s doctor referred her to a surgical center in Wayne, New Jersey for pain management. The doctors there first tried to treat her condition with medication. Next, a doctor at the Center gave Diane a cervical epidural steroid injection (CESI). The CESI provided her with six to seven months of relief.

Then Diane returned for a second CESI. But this time the procedure was performed by a different doctor. Unlike the first CESI, the second was performed under general anesthesia. Following the second procedure, the doctor performed a neurological exam. He found decreased strength and sensation in her right arm.

medical malpractice lawyer Wayne case

About a month later, the doctor gave Diane another CESI, again, under general anesthesia. The center advised Diane that the risks associated with the procedure included nerve damage. However, the center claimed the risk as very rare.

When Diane awoke from the third CESI, she complained of slurred speech and extensive pain in her right arm and armpit. She also experienced difficulty opening her right eye. The doctor assured Diane that her symptoms were due to the anesthesia and would wear off shortly.

Victim Claims Long-Term Harm from Epidural Injection

However, that night, Diane experienced terrible, throbbing pain in her neck, right arm, and fingers. The pain continued into the next morning.

Accordingly, Diane called the surgical center. A nurse again assured her that her symptoms were caused by the anesthesia and would wear off. Therefore, Diane returned to work.

But, by the afternoon, Diane called the doctor. She complained of cramping and numbness in her right arm, drooping of her right eyelid, and slurred speech. The doctor advised her to go to the hospital emergency room.

That evening, Dianne went to the emergency room. A neurologist performed a diagnostic examination and ordered a battery of tests. The tests included MRIs of Diane’s brain and spine, as well as a lumbar puncture. The neurologist concluded that the malperformed epidural injection caused Diane’s symptoms. Thus, the neurologist admitted Diane to the hospital.

Diane remained in the hospital for five days. The hospital treated her with pain medication and intravenous steroids to reduce the inflammation to her spinal cord.

After her discharge, Diane obtained outpatient treatment. She did not work for three months while she received physical therapy. Her neurologist prescribed various medications to address her claimed chronic pain. But without success.

Diane also claims to suffer from sensory loss, clumsiness, coordination issues, impaired balance, dizziness, lethargy, confusion, and depression. All allegedly caused by the medical malpractice of the doctor at the surgical center in Wayne who performed the last CESI.

To be continued next post…

Please share this post

Be the first to write a comment.

Your feedback

Captcha: 5 × 6 = ?