Ten Commandments: Things to Do After a Car Accident
See a detailed list of the ten things you should do after a car accident.
- Report the accident to the police, do so while still at the scene.
- Obtain the other party’s information. These include name, address, and phone number. Also email, driver’s license number, car insurer and policy number from their insurance card.
- If possible, take photos of the accident scene. Also photograph your injuries. And any damage to all cars involved.
- Obtain any witness’ information. This includes name, address, phone number, and email.
- Get immediate treatment for any injuries. Don’t be a hero. Call an ambulance to take you to the emergency room.
- Tell the police what happened. Truthfully tell just the facts. But Do not discuss what happened with the other driver, do not apologize, don’t argue and don’t become overly emotional.
- Locate your car insurance summary page and policy. Then Report the accident to your car insurance company.
- Ask for and keep copies of all paperwork. These include Police reports, hospital reports, prescriptions, and medical reports. Write down the name and address of all medical providers.
- Don’t discuss the case with anyone else. Especially with the other driver’s insurer. Anything you say may be held against you. Therefore, don’t sign anything without consulting a lawyer first. (You can sign medical consent forms necessary to get treatment needed immediately.)
- Call a car accident attorney. As soon as you are able to. Preferably not later than when you leave the emergency room.
If you follow these ten steps exactly after having a car accident your lawyer will be able to represent you with fewer complications. You can also see a more detailed explanation of what to do after a car accident here.